Struggling with severe debt, unemployment or needing some extra help with budgeting? CAP is here to help and is a free service.
CAP is a movement of Christians across the world, all united by their desire to transform the lives of those in debt and poverty.
Real poverty exists here in Australia and debt is a major contributor. For people living on a low income and struggling to make ends meet, debt repayments can mean they are unable to afford the basics of life: regular meals, heating, clothing or medication.
Debt causes relational poverty too. Stress, sleepless nights and constant arguing about money put a massive strain on marriages and families. This all results in emotional poverty: bitterness, depression and even suicide attempts.
Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
CAP doesn’t just help for a few weeks, but through the whole process until people are debt free. CAP provides top quality debt counselling and offers:
- Home visits – each client is visited in their own home by a CAP Debt Centre Manager and Support Worker.
- Effective budgeting – CAP then works out a realistic budget by prioritising essential bills, negotiating affordable payments with each creditor and working to stop unfair interest and charges.
- CAP Account – A CAP Account, which acts like a simple bank account, is set up. The client makes one weekly or monthly payment into their account to cover their bills and debt repayments, which we then distribute on their behalf.
- Insolvency – If a client is in severe debt, we can walk them through the appropriate insolvency route. We can help our clients with filling out forms and specialist advice.
- Support until debt free – Clients use their CAP Account to pay their bills and debts, and are supported by CAP HQ until they are debt free.
Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are destitute. Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy.
We believe that Jesus is the hope of the world. The good news of His gospel is the only message that has the power to change lives and communities, both now and for eternity. That’s why the CAP program operates in partnership with a local church so when a client asks for help from CAP, they also meet the church!
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor.
If you have any questions, or would like to arrange a meeting with a CAP volunteer from the Tivoli Christian Reformed Church, please email firstname.lastname@example.org